MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

"Internet governance"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitwhys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

you mean break up the internet?

that's not only technically possible but entirely feasible. that's what they're trying to aviod.

gah

I'm talking to a donkey.

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bitwhys - "that's not only technically possible but entirely feasible."

So, I'll ask again...on the outside chance somebody wants to give a straight and non-caustic answer. Why don't they do just that? Who or what is stopping them?

Melody and Instruments for the soul...

bitwhys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

he has to ask

:ohno

because

1) it wouldn't be a global cooperative effort any more, although I'm sure the likes of you don't see that as a problem and

2) not insurmountably, it complicates things but its only a matter of time before the circumstances justify the effort. but on the bright side for you when it gets to that point and something is done about it the 'merkans will get to whine and play the victim again.

Edited by: bitwhys at: 11/18/05 12:46
MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Internet governance" Reply with quote

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1780970,00.html

US Retains Control of Internet Traffic System

An 11th-hour deal ahead of a UN Internet summit in Tunisia has left the US in charge of the Internet's traffic system, though diplomats agreed to set up a forum to enhance international cooperation on key issues.

Negotiators struck an agreement on key clauses on Internet governance for endorsement during the World Summit on the Internet Society, which began in Tunis, Tunisia on Wednesday. The deal cleared the way for the summit to focus on the digital divide between rich and poor nations.

However, it left intact the United States' single-handed control over the private body known as the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) that oversees the key technical and administrative roots of the Internet.

The eleventh-hour agreement sidestepped a brewing row between the US and the rest of the world, which officials warned could have seen the Internet torn into competing or disconnected networks. US control of the domain-name system that guides online traffic had become a sticking point for the European Union as well as several countries such as Iran and Brazil, who argued that it should be managed by the United Nations or some other global body.

To mollify those bodies pushing for more international control, diplomats agreed to set up multilateral talks, including an open-ended process "towards enhanced cooperation (by) relevant international organizations" on oversight and public policy issues.

bitwhys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Internet governance" Reply with quote

Quote:
which officials warned could have seen the Internet torn into competing or disconnected networks.

I didn't realize it was that serious already. jeez. I hope these guys get drunk with the techies once in a while or else its going to get blown way out of proportion.

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

DreamTone7 - "So, I'll ask again...on the outside chance somebody wants to give a straight and non-caustic answer. Why don't they do just that? Who or what is stopping them?"

bitwhys - "because

1) it wouldn't be a global cooperative effort any more, although I'm sure the likes of you don't see that as a problem and

2) not insurmountably, it complicates things but its only a matter of time before the circumstances justify the effort. but on the bright side for you when it gets to that point and something is done about it the 'merkans will get to whine and play the victim again. "

In other words, nothing.

I'd rather it stay the way it is...a single net. But we've managed to keep it fair so far. Now others want to change that, and put it in the hands of some body that might not handle it so well. Our track record for handling it speaks for itself. There's an old saying around here: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

What I'd really like to know is what was the catalyst for all the european whining this time. Agendas, agendas, agendas. If others do come up with nets and the internet is fragmented, it would only be a matter of time before agreements would be reached to put it back together, and it would then have the security that each country claims to be looking for. That's the best solution for all, methinks. Just handing it over to a governing body is in itself a great security risk...which is why methinks there's something else going on here. In fact, I'm almost certain of it.

Melody and Instruments for the soul...

bitwhys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

:toc

Quote:
There's an old saying around here: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

There's an old saying in the computer business. "If it ain't broke you're having a good day"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: