MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Masterpiece of reconciliation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

Stone by stone.............................

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4389904.stm

Last Updated: Sunday, 30 October 2005, 13:10 GMT

The landmark Church of our Lady has been re-consecrated in the east German city of Dresden 60 years after being destroyed by Allied bombing.

The charred remains of the Frauenkirche were left untouched by East Germany's communist authorities to serve as a reminder of the World War II damage.

"A deep wound that has bled for so long can be healed," Dresden Bishop Jochen Bohl said at the ceremony.

The baroque sandstone dome of the reconstructed Frauenkirche dominates the Dresden skyline.

It is the end of a story that began on a cold night in February 1945, when Allied bombers carried out one of the most notorious air raids of World War II, says the BBC's Ray Furlong in Berlin.

Dresden burned for a week, and the Frauenkirche was reduced to a pile of rubble.

The reconstruction has not put an end to debate over whether the bombing of Dresden was morally justified, says our correspondent.

At least 35,000 people were killed in the city, which some historians argue was of no military significance.

But while the ruins were once described as "a gaping wound in the heart of Dresden", a German newspaper recently titled the rebuilt church a "masterpiece of reconciliation".

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

The retooled church is bright, painted in pastel yellows, pinks and blues trimmed with gold. The clear glass windows high in its sandstone dome, which is topped with a golden cross and orb paid for by British donors, let in light that illuminates the space below.

Part of the church's uniqueness is its round structure, the pews fanning out from the altar in a circle like the waves of a stone thrown into the water. The upper galleries also hold pews.

Although the inside carries the smell of new wood and fresh paint, there are reminders of the past everywhere: Most visibly, to the right of the altar, is the original cross that topped the dome, now twisted and charred.

Also salvaged were 2,000 pieces from the altar. Each was carefully cleaned and then incorporated into the structure based on photographs and the plans for the original church.

The church's outer walls are also mottled with stones from the original structure, blackened with time and age -- a reminder of the past and how it can lead to a new beginning.

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

more like:

(February 1945)

(February 1990)

(October 2005)

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

Nice looking church. Hopefully the Germans (and others) will see these photos. Maybe it will help them think twice before starting a war.

Melody and Instruments for the soul...

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe it will help them think twice before starting a war.

:aua

I truly hope you see the irony here DT, coming from someone who supports a murdering warmongering government...

:aua

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

How did I know you were going to twist the purpose of this thread to your own devices? At least you're predictable, Deb. ;)

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

huh? ME twisting the purpose of this thread???

What was the purpose of YOUR post then?

:dunno

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

I suppose in a way I did...but mine was in direct refute of the original purpose of the post. At least I stuck with the same war. :D

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

Quote:
I suppose in a way I did...but mine was in direct refute of the original purpose of the post

Tell me, what was the original purpose of Mikes post that you had to refute?

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

Dreamtone,

the purpose of the post was "reconciliation".

We Germans found our peace with England and the city of Coventry, which was bombed by Germans to piles of rubble.

There is also a reconstructed church at Coventry and the words of Queen Elisabeth II from 1992 when she visited the destroyed and reconstructed "Kreuzkirche" came alive again yesterday.

This peace we didn't find so far with the USA (that's not only my personal opinion - you can read it in the newspapers here as well).

The USA still say it was right to destroy a city full of women, children and -tragically enough- jewish refugees - a city which was of absolutely no military significance and simply a cultural heritage not only for Germans.

You see, we don't need to watch pictures to be reminded... the destruction of Dresden, a warcrime, is known by every single German, young and old as well as the efforts to rebuild the "Frauenkirche".

We Germans - we did learn our lesson which is that war should be avoided at all cost and that there are always other possibilities.

The USA did not learn until today and belong to the most warmongering countries on the planet - actually leading the parade in 2005.

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

Mike...you speak of what the allies did during WWII as if Germany was the victim in this war...and simultaneously dismiss the part Germany played in other countries in starting this war and wrecking distruction and death in other countries (and to entire races of people). Germany brought this upon itself. You seek to poke a finger in the eye of the United States, when this great country saved the world from the insanity that started in your country. In doing so, you seek to mitigate the responsibility Germany had in all of this. It is in the past...and except for the lessons to be learned from it, it should remain there.

Mike - "The USA did not learn until today and belong to the most warmongering countries on the planet - actually leading the parade in 2005."

You speak as a child who, when caught with his hand in the cookie jar, points a finger at his brother (who told on him) and attempts to shift blame/attention onto him. I would be embarassed if I were you, having said what you have said.

If you want to address current issues, fine. There is not need to bring up the past in doing so...unless what I have said concerning your motives is true, of course.

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: wheeeeeeeeeeee Reply with quote

Quote:
You speak as a child who, when caught with his hand in the cookie jar, points a finger at his brother (who told on him) and attempts to shift blame/attention onto him. I would be embarassed if I were you, having said what you have said.

Crikey. That's EXACTLY what you did!!!!! Mike simply posted a message of peace and reconciliation and lessons learned and you guiltily came up with your silly little post about starting wars... hahahahahahahaha

You are too funny.:wgrin

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

OK Deb...I'll connect the dots for you again.

Mike - "the purpose of the post was "reconciliation"."

Mike - "The USA still say it was right to destroy a city full of women, children and -tragically enough- jewish refugees - a city which was of absolutely no military significance and simply a cultural heritage not only for Germans."

Mike - "The USA did not learn until today and belong to the most warmongering countries on the planet - actually leading the parade in 2005."

The USA, the USA, the USA. Doesn't sound like much of an olive branch if reconciliation was indeed the intent of Mike's post. Sounds like he wants to pick a fight with somebody. If he is angry with what the USA did a long time ago, he should start by apologizing for what Germany did a long time ago first. Otherwise, it's just pointing fingers.

NRKofOver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Masterpiece of reconciliation Reply with quote

It's a beautiful church Mike, a real treasure for the city of Dresden and for Germany. The contributions of British citizens makes it even more of a symbol for global kindness, generosity and putting the past behind. I hope it stands for thousands of years and remains a place where people can see the amazing goodness that humans possess and our amazing capacity to appreciate our unique cultures and nations while putting behind our nations' histories and differences.

My music for the disenchanted masses

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

NRK, agreed. It is beautiful, and a real tribute to forgiveness and moving on.

Thank you for bringing the post back to topic.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: