MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Best cover songs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: The beatles are FAB Reply with quote

hahaha NOW how could we forget INXS?!?!? I saw them last year! hahahaha And Michael Hutchence grew up in Hong Kong! haahahaha They were cool! So not all Australian bands are crap :banana

I never liked the Police or Sting - I found all the Police songs really repetitive... They always seem to repeat a line 3-4 times - like they couldn't think of more lyrics for their songs! hahaha I have to confess I've never heard Roxanne though... Maybe it's time to do a kazaa search!!!! :devil

|Blah Blah|Talk Soup|Thinking Out Loud|thewireweb
|

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I'll do you one better. Rent a copy of Sting's video "Bring on the Night".....it's sort of a documentary of making his first solo album (has a lot of cool music, too.) At the end of the video, he does the solo version of "Roxanne" I mentioned. BTW, he's also got some great musicians working with him in the video!

I'll have to disagree with you on the lyrics thing, though. They put out some of the most intelligent POP music that, lyrically speaking, was way ahead of its time. Check out the lyrics to both "Syncronicity" and "Syncronicity II". :D

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

I listened to 'Spirits in the Material World' and the title song repeats that several times hahahahaha

Bring on the Night sounds interesting though! I'll give it a go! :banana

|

PLX180

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

'Spirits in the Material World' was great though. I remember that single - my sister bought it on vinyl........

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

For some reason Police, Sting, Men At Work - hell, most 80s music (haha!!) - doesn't do much for me!

Well there were some fine 80s exceptions, but my overall decade o' music vote would be a thumbs down on it.

=Ron=

"D'ya come from the land down under..."

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The beatles are FAB Reply with quote

<<NOW how could we forget INXS?!?!? I saw them last year!>>

They have a Hutchence clone singing lead or ? Once the lead singer is gone (I mean off this planet *gone*) it's pretty hard for any group to continue on!

=Ron=

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

I forgot his name but he was reminiscent of Michael - he sounded like Michael but seemed more powerful vocally. THey had a five minute interlude where they showed lots of photos of him. It was really nice touch. They only played 45 minutes as they were part of a Government organised event - a friend got me the free tickets which was really cool. Their official photographer hit on me! hahahahaha But when I met the band afterwards I didn't really like them as people....

Eighties? I remember Madonna & Michael Jackson only. THe rest are just soundwaves that have moved on...... hahahahahahhaha I prefer the NINETIES! AND NOW! :banana

|

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Sorry....had to kick in one more time. ;)

One of my all-time favorite bands, Yes, made a comeback (in 1982) with a #1 selling album (90125) and single (Owner of a Lonely Heart).

I doubt it would make a good cover tune for most bands because it's a unique style of music, but it is from the 80's. (Not an overly popular band, but has had a serious cult following since the early 70's.....with some great musicians I might add.)

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Hmmmm......NINETIES AND NOW. My guess is that you (chris) must be in your 20's! Ahhh, the joys of youth! I'm an old geezer in comparison.....I can still remember (as a kid) when the Beatles and the Doors were still together and playing current hits on the radio! :bmutant

Mikeyj69

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The beatles are FAB Reply with quote

Hey, I had a Beatles moment the other night.

This woman I know is an acoustic guitarist and she found the sheet music book of ABBEY ROAD in her collection.

Man!!! Abbey Road has to be the greatest album ever and I had so much fun singing the songs from it while she strummed.

Songs I sung pretty well:

You Never Give Me Your Money.

Golden Slumbers.

Because.

Carry That Weight.

The End.

Songs I totally trashed by singing well out of tune:

Oh Darling!

Come Together.

The funniest moment was singing "Her Majesty" at the end of the jam.

Er....I assume everyone knows these tracks or am I showing my age here!!! lol

(And no!!! I was only a baby when Abbey Road was released!)

Mikey J

Get Me Music.com

Getmemusic.com Messageboard

Edited by: Mikeyj69  at: 4/3/03 6:24:28 pm
RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: The beatles are FAB Reply with quote

<<Er....I assume everyone knows these tracks or am I showing my age here!!!>>

Hahahaa, Mikey, I'd get the references even if you'd said "I'd like to say thanks on behalf of the group and I hope we passed the audition" to wrap up a rooftop gig!

"Come Together" - great bassy tune and the most fun a person can have with a D7th. Well, "I Dig Rock & Roll Music" can be a fine D7th moment too..ha!

=Ron=

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

I know the Beatles AND the Doors. hahahahahahaha I even like The Platters! I'm just a mixed bag of all-sorts when it comes to music wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee At the moment I really really like Linkin Park but it's really hard to talk the band into covering one of their songs. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Mikey J! hahahaha I know "oh darling" and "Come Together" every cover band does in HK hahahahahaha :banana

|

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

What's interesting to me, Chris, and that relates to my initial post in the thread is so many cover "classics" seem to be highly concentrated in the 60s. I think there are some fine groups who come on the scene and contribute some good sound, like Linkin Park, but don't have the lasting power of Doors, Beatles, Stones, a host of other 60s (and quite a few 50s/70s) performers. Then there's the "one hit wonders" too, lol.

Of course, there are audiences who know current faves but wouldn't have a clue who John Lennon was! So it balances out I guess!

=Ron=

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

John Lennon and I share the same birthday!

|

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

That's cool, Chris - did you ever have any special affinity to Lennon or no?

What a wonderful matchup he was with Paul especially. Even tho they were very diff individuals they created something that will last as long as humans are around to listen! Every generation should have such talents to appreciate.

=Ron=

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: