MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Best cover songs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

Thinking Out Loud play "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Stones... That's from the Sixties right? Plus we do some stuff from the Fifties and stuff from last couple of years. It's the SEVENTIES that we sadly (happily?!??!) are lacking in cover versions! h ahahahahahaha

|Blah Blah|Talk Soup|Thinking Out Loud|thewireweb
|

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

I was just thinking of how many great cover songs seemed to come from the 1960s and I wondered, for those who play/ have played covers - what song(s) should be in everyones rep ? Beatles? Chuck Berry? Disco hits? Dylan? Classic 80s, 90s?

What got me started was looking over the oldie hits/lyrics at this link -

Oldies Top 100 1955-1975 (year by year top listings)

www.webfitz.com/lyrics/lyricsbb.html

==ron==

Yj2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

We play some cover songs in our unplugged set:

"Things We Said Today" and "This Boy" by The Beatles, "Sun Down" by Gordon Lightfoot, "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers and last but not least "I Hear You Knocking" by Dave Edmunds.

:bmutant :yeah :banana

Sebastian

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

The early and late 70's were actually very cool....it's the mid 70's (with all that "disco" stuff) that were musically lacking (as far as hits are concerned). The early 70's saw a lot of Led Zepplins classics, and the late 70's ushered in a new era with bands like Van Halen and The Police. Looking at the lists is like a trip down memory lane for me! (I'm probably a little older than most on this board....he, he!)

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

When I think of the 70's I think of punk and the Bee Gees?!?!? My Mum liked the Bee Gees. My brother liked punk music.... I'm more a Nirvana type person! Musically speaking not emotionally speaking!!!! :banana

|

NRKofOver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

It's so relative to the type of band you are. If you want a super accessible band, the 50's and 60's are going to be the best. Young people like a lot of those songs and they still are enjoyed by older crowds. But the bands I've played in have had specific demographics and even in the cover bands I've been in, the vast majority of the covers came from the 80's and 90's.

Read all about ME!

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

There are a LOT of good 80s songs although i can't think of anyone apart from Madonna.....

|

NRKofOver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Chris!!!! Ack! Well my various bands have covered The Smiths, The Cure, Bauhaus, REM, U2, The Cult, New Order, Guns-n-Roses from the 80's

and from the 90's, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Offspring, Green Day, Metallica,

and that's just off the top of my head, :) !

But interestingly, one of my band's 'signature' covers (we really were an original band) was a 10 minute goth/darkwave version of White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, :) !

Read all about ME!

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Oh OF COURSE!! hahaha The Smiths! The Cure! Guns N Roses! hahaha My brother was really into them too so I know a LOT of their songs! "Some girls are bigger than others" hahahaha :banana

Didn't Michael Jackson fill in some gaps then? Wasn't there also some purple short guy called Prince? hahahahaahahaha WHATEVER happened to Prince?!??!

And yes Radiohead! Oasis! Chili Peppers! Soundgarden! Pearl Jam! Alanis Morissette! Garbage! AND Madonna! hahahahahaha

|

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

Chris - "Sympathy for the Devil", that's a cool choice - away from the usual covers "Hony Tonk Women", "Satisfaction". You do the lead vocal on it?

Yj2 - "This Boy" by The Beatles - I remember doing that, hahaa!(D, Bminor, Eminor, A if memory serves.) "Sundown" is a fine Gordon Lightfoot cover, too.

DreamTone - speaking of Zep, ever heard "Stairway To Gilligan's Island"?

Stairway to "Gilligan's Island"

(uses real audio)

www.gilligansisle.com/stairway.html

One good 70s cover - "Smokin' In The Boys Room" (Brownsville Station) when I think in terms of "garage band" cover rep.

<<Wasn't there also some purple short guy called Prince? hahahahaahahaha WHATEVER happened to Prince?!??!>>

He's still around and still irrelevant Chris! He's a local lad, y'know. the other big rock name to come outta Minnesota is Bob Dylan. Dylan isn't all that relevant either, but at least he's a legend of sorts.

==ron==

NRKofOver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

Prince IRRELEVANT!!!! Blasphemy!!!!!! ;)

I actually really like Prince, he did some really amazing stuff over the years and I would put '7' in the top 50 all time greatest songs, although I don't have many top 50 songs prior to the 80's, but that's probably an age thing. In that respect I would have to agree that Dylan is a legend although I don't know that I'm familiar with anything he sang other than the Johnny's in the basement song. I know he wrote a ton of songs that other people made famous, or at least I know Dylan songs that other people sang, maybe he made them famous first, who knows, hahahahahaha!

Read all about ME!

PLX180

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

The Beatles "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away". Not for a band to cover particularly, but great for a sing along with an acoustic guitar, and a wall for an audience :)

LFO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

Hmmm...all great songs, but lets not forget Crowded House from Aussie guys ! Hell yeah, I've done many a gig where I've tossed in the odd Crowded number or two and got a great reaction. Last week, I did an accoustic of weather with you along with Connery faire and one of my backing singers. It went down great and had the audience singing along.

Marko

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

<<Prince IRRELEVANT!!!! Blasphemy!!!!!!>>

Well. he was relevant for awhile in the 80s. I have the "Contraversy" release from his early days and another CD.

I think Dylan had a lasting impact on pop music, I don't know that Prince could be classified the same way. He's more like as Chris sez - a "whatever happened to??", hahhaaahaa!

==ron==

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Best cover songs? Reply with quote

"lets not forget Crowded House from Aussie"

===

I can't forget 'em - but then again I don't think I've ever heard of 'em! They have a big hit or ?

==ron==

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: