MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Is the US the best place to live?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Master 1968

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Is the US the best place to live? Reply with quote

This question is for Europeans or someone else not living in the US.

I was talking with some friends, back home about how I would like to live in Europe.

I was told that I was crazy, that nowhere is as good as the US.

My question for you others are:

What is YOUR opinion of the US & have you ever lived here (or stayed long enough to know something of it)?

=================================================================

The Master - Cybernetic Organism's Music Page

Login: Orlock28273@yahoo.com

PW:

master

ianbal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

What an excellent question !

But I doubt there's a difinitive answer.

Surely it comes down too what you want or expect from life and your surroundings.

I know plenty of people who live or have lived in London. They think it's "the" place to live for a whole host of reasons, and probably great reasons for them !

I think it's a great place too visit, no way would I live there !

I've got a friend who now lives just outside San Fransisco. At a mates wedding we sat and chatted, he loves America ! He loves low taxes ! He loves the size of house he can afford, He loves the amount of land he can afford.......... hey ! He even loves George Bush ! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like a comfortable life, but I'm not driven to own the biggest house, own the most land, and I don't mind paying taxes (yes I did just say that). I don't like government wasting taxes, but wobbly as it is, I quite like the fact that I can walk into a national health service doctor or hospital and get seen. My best friend, who is extremely poor, will get the same service as me ! OK, it's probably not the best service, and hey, we may have to wait a while, but we're treated the same.

Actually, the health service did him proud ! I know you don't like my band master (that's ok) but he's our guitarist. Four years ago he was involved in an accident. To say his wrist was mashed would be an understatement. Took a year, but they completely rebuilt it ! He can play as well as before. I'm not sure a person in his position (financially) would have had the same outcome in America.......... ? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my perception, and that's partly what this question is about........ ?

My Nephew works for Microsoft in Seattle, he seems positively underwhelmed by America. He don't hate it or anything, but it's just another place too live for a job.

Regards

Ian

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent Reply with quote

I think the U.S. is probably a good place to live, in terms of standard of living, natural resources, and opportunity.. - although those things seem to be in serious decline lately..

On the other hand, it must be unpleasant to live in a country that most of the World perceives as shallow, loud, and obscenely self-centered.

The U.S. could be a huge force for good, AND a great place to live, given leadership worthy of it's power.

But hey. That's Democracy, no?

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent Reply with quote

On a related note, does anyone think the current American president is a true representative of the American people?

Edited by: droolymutt  at: 7/11/06 0:12
SINTZ
Penguin in Bondage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Excellent Reply with quote

I live here.

<Charlie Brown Voice>I got a rock</Charlie Brown Voice>

"It's all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back."

~
Mick Jagger

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is the US the best place to live? Reply with quote

I've visited the US a few times (spent 3 months there collectively over 4 trips) I love certain cities and hate others - it's SUCH a big place with different taxes/laws per state that it's a hard question to say the US is the best place to live....

I think HK is great but hate the pollution. I love the health service in UK. I hate English winter weather.

One of my favourite cities that I could live in is Vancouver but then I've not been there in winter, only there for summers and loved it. I loved Germany in the summer.

I think Thailand is one of the best places in the world to live. I haven't visited New Zealand but I get the impression that would be another great place to live in.

At the end of the day - where you THINK is the best place, depends on your own interests, needs, values etc. It's a personalisation that cannot be a generalisation.

Drooly - there's a politics board, if you want to get political!

Master - what a great question! Would be a top 10 question of the week! :banana

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

The Master 1968

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the US the best place to live? Reply with quote

Well my buddy seems to think that the US, only, has the right to speak out against the government.

I tried to tell him other places do it, too, but he thinks it's not true.

He says you can be killed/arrested for doing it.

I know in some places, that is true. I want to live in England...

But if I ever do make it there, I will probably be old.

PW:

master

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the US the best place to live? Reply with quote

Your buddy hasnt travelled much has he? He's wrong.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

you can speak out against the govt in the US???? :laugh :wgrin

I've been there a few times. I would not want to live there. There is nowhere like Hong Kong for low taxes (16% MAX), great customer service, great work ethic and low crime rates, and minimal litigation. Also, you can have a live in helper without losing your limbs, so that makes for a much better standard of living, imho. I can go to work and come home to fresh cooked meals, plus have someone look after my bubba when I'm away...

I will probably retire in India or Australia or NZ... gotta see.

Good question.

The Master 1968

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the US the best place to live? Reply with quote

Quote:
Your buddy hasnt travelled much has he? He's wrong.

He's travelled a little in the Army. He fought in Afghanistan.

I told him he was crazy, but he was drunk.

And you know how drunks can be stubborn...

PW:

master

ianbal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

We don't have a problem shouting about our government in England !

Plus, like America, we do it every four years.

We just bicker in between times........... :laugh

Regards

Ian

Damien Project

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

drooly....I for one feel Bush as a whole does NOT speak for the American people...we do believe to an extent in the war on terrorism but aside from that bush is an idiot :)

Mark

www.soundclick.com/damienproject

ianbal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

HRC you forgot one thing.

Apart from the polution.......... HK is one of the cleanest cities I've ever been too.

Regards

Ian

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

Quote:
bush is an idiot

Amen.

Yet, if he doesn't represent the majority, why is he the leader of such a potentially great country?

(This is not "politics", Chris. It's a polite exercise in fundamental logic.)

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: fundamental logic... Reply with quote

Yeah! :sensational

Ian, yes its pretty clean, but to be fair, there are many cleaner less poluted cities in the world.

I've gone home alone in a cab in the wee hours of the morning, feeling perfectly safe. I think thats my main concern. I doubt I'd feel this safe anywhere else, barring Singapore. Plus, there is very very little beauraucracy. For example, it took me 30 minutes to register my baby at the births and deaths registry and get a birth certificate, and I didnt have to make an appointment. It takes 4-6 weeks to get a working visa (if not less) and you can call and speak to the officer processing your case...

I love Hong Kong as surely as Bush is an Idiot :D

:ui

Edited by: HKRockChick at: 7/12/06 6:00
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH, BLAH, BLAH All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: