MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Factual Mistakes in Famous Songs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Factual Mistakes in Famous Songs Reply with quote

1. U2, "Pride (In The Name Of Love)"

It's probably difficult to work the assassination of a civil-rights leader into a song––but if anyone can do it, Bono can! Unfortunately, he fudges the facts a bit in the last chorus of this song, when he sings about the killing of Martin Luther King Jr., "Early morning, April 4 / Shot rings out in the Memphis sky." King was actually shot on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel at 6:01 p.m., which makes Bono off by about 10 hours. But he did get the date and the city right. Oh, and the pride part. Which isn't bad for a Nobel Peace Prize nominee.

2. Willie Nelson, Michael Jackson, Huey Lewis, Steve Perry, Dan Aykroyd, and others, "We Are The World"

"We Are The World" was a very important song, both to starving Ethiopians and to comedy writers looking for an easy parody. But when the song tries to hammer home the preachiness, it ends up misquoting the Bible. Willie Nelson sings, "As God has shown us by turning stones to bread…" Biblically speaking, that never happened. In Matthew 4, the devil tries to get Jesus to turn some stones into bread, but Jesus refuses, saying, "One does not live on bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God." So the bread/stone miracle never happened. Also, in spite of what the song says, we are not the world.

3. Jennifer Lopez, "Jenny From The Block"

This is one of those rare songs where every other line contradicts the one before it. For example: "I love my life and my public / put God first and can't forget to stay real." Yes, you're right, J. Lo. "Real" people always remember to love their "public." Or: "I stay grounded / as the amounts roll in / I'm real I thought I told ya / I'm real even on Oprah." Translation: "I'm so down to earth. Seriously though, I'm making truckloads of money and getting TV gigs." And, of course: "Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got / I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block." Sure, Jennifer Lopez is just another multimillionaire from the Bronx, just like Gisele Bündchen is just another beautiful model from the slums of Brazil, and Arnold Schwarzenegger is just another huge action star/California governor from a tiny town in Austria. Never mind us, they are the world.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Factual Mistakes in Famous Songs Reply with quote

Interesting Chris... :)

Was it not early morning in Irland where bono lives that he was shot? :lol

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Factual Mistakes in Famous Songs Reply with quote

Paul!!! hahahahahahaha :rollin

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

That would have made it "early morning/April 5" :eyebrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH, BLAH, BLAH All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: