MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Espresso Review of "Hearts In Armor"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> THE ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
songritr1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Espresso Review of "Hearts In Armor" Reply with quote

Artist: Hearts In Armor

Album: Girl From The Avenue (unreleased)

Reviewed by Bobby Bensley

JavaMusic A&R

Adult Alternative Pop/Rock grew out of an amalgamation of jangle pop, folk-rock, synth pop and ambient pop in the mid 80’s and is the closest I can come to applying a genre to Chicago based Hearts In Armor. Rooted in the underground the genre offers listeners a more polished sound then many of the preceding Rock genres. It is a genre that is at once melodic and full of atmosphere, never to agressive yet prone to outbursts of guitar driven power.

First appearing online at the peak of the MP3.com heydays HIA quickly became a favorite among their peers. Producing a variety of Alt. Pop Rock that is truly their own vocalists Robert Pauly sings in a sultry and evocative baritone that hints at roots in the 50’s and has reportedly driven women to starry-eyed daydreams.

The melodies of HIA are riff with tension and angst as Pauly sings of life, loss and love with his passionate and seductive vibrato which contrast sharply with the power driven melodies in the lead guitar riffs of guitarist Eliot Levy. Levy who obviously cut his teeth on the great Blues players through history blends classic Blues riffs with the more ambient tones and voicings of players such as Page and Gilmour with just a hint of Jeff Beck, to create a sound that is all his own. Tense and powerful the lines are structured with a precision that compels one to truly listen to the intricacies of the melodies within the runs.

The styles of Pauly and Levy mesh together so smoothly and naturally that one can’t help feeling these two were meant to make music together. To further add strength and cohesiveness to the sound of Pauly and Levy you only need add in Michael Menke on drums and percussion. While Robert and Eliot form the melodic foundation of the project Menke is the mortar that holds them both in place. Keeping them right on time with a solid downbeat and fills that are tasteful and complimentary to the songs.

If there is anything I can really knock with Hearts In Armor it is that they have not released a commercial CD to the market yet. Hopefully this is a shortcoming that will be soon rectified. A&R reps and music investors should stand up and take notice. If they are looking for a band with a sound to complement yet bend the sound of today’s commercial rock in a new but familiar direction, Hearts In Armor is worth a look and a listen.

Though the album is not out yet you can still get a good healping of Hearts In Armor tomorrow where they will be featured on the JavaMusic Home Page as a House Blends artist on 1-15-02.

Bobby Bensley

JavaMusic A&R

Bobby Bensley
JavaMusic A&R

My Music

CMAP CD SHOP

JavaMusic

My Playlist

My CD STORE @ Java

My CD Shop @ Geocities

My CD STORE / Station @ MP3.com

Edited by: songritr1  at: 1/15/02 7:06:30 am
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> THE ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: