MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

lololol..!!!!!

yeah - Frank is a multi-talented "guy"..........

(gosh, I hope his family doesn't see this........)

Here's a picture of Norm - on bass... - I'm sure you can see the resemblance.....

Edited by: droolymutt at: 1/10/03 6:31:25 am
droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

and here are some pictures of Frank in his other secret life.........

Edited by: droolymutt at: 1/10/03 6:29:31 am
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

Cool photos Drooly! Why isn't your photo showing up though of Frank's brother?

Jane Eliz|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Today's Song
|

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

I'm fixing it now, Chris- should be ok in a minute.....

PANick11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

actually Drooly...

This guy really influenced me....

seriously....

I used to sit and stare at those early album covers.....and soak myself in this guys playing...

Then I transfered them all to tape because I was afraid they'd get scratched and I'd never be able to replace them.....

(they were very hard to find...until the live ALBUM.... by then the early ones were impossible to find)

he's not just an ordinary player.......

anyway....at the risk of sounding stupid.....I was incredibly devoted to this guys playing.

maybe a youthfull obsession.....but I still feel like his playing was comming from somwhere else..

PANick

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

Should be ok now, Chris.....

PANick - it's strange... I guess I'm too mainstream....

Sooo many musicians that I respect completely idolize Frank's playing... - but personally, I don't understand it....

It's like jazz - it's beyond me.......

But Norm is a kicker on bass, lemme tellya.....

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

But I gotta admit.....

He can play....

PANick11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} Reply with quote

LOL!! yea, your so mainstream...

the thing was, when Maxoom and Strange Universe....Child of the novelty were new I didn't know of anyone else who was writing stuff like this....or listening to it!! so it was kind of my own thing....

I had a few Jimi albums by then and thought he was the King!!! .....but he was gone before I ever "discovered" him...

I had a Zephyr album, and Spectrum by Billy Cobham....so I was hip to Tommy Bolin and thought he was pretty cool....

I dont know....Mahagony Rush was pretty Deep back then...there weren't many guitar players really pushing it like this...or writing weird psychedelic material.....When I hear it now it's maybe a bit juvenile lyricly, But It was weird and poetic..!! he was a pretty young guy when he did those albums!!!!

They were the perfect theme music for me!,

an outcast longhaired teen poet who played guitar.....and got into acid at what was probably too young an age,,,...actually....definately to young an age....but I digress...

LOL!!!

The only "mainstream" music that really caught my ear back then was the Funk Scene....because it was freaky enough to be interesting...

;)

anyway....Thanks for the memories.....ya Truent hobo!!

PANick

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} Reply with quote

the proper spelling is "truant"....

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} Reply with quote

I mentioned facial expressions while being in the "zone".....

This one kinda shows what I mean....

Helge Krabye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Reasons for Musical Improvisation Reply with quote

Philos,

I love improvised music, and this is probably why I find jazz the most inspiring music genre :) Personally, I think I made my best music while improvising. If you have time, you may listen to my track "Silent" which was made in this way: I just played around with a synth sounds and made a slow, very simple pattern which I in fact repeat through the whole piece. I listened to this while improvising on my acoustic guitar. What you hear is the first and only take. Then I did the same thing while playing my K2000R with a Fender Rhodes piano sound, without listening to the guitar. I then added these two and a little synth bass:

listen to "Silent"

I think one of the secrets of improvising is to LISTEN. Like these three, great performers have put it:

"Only play what your hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything!" (Chick Corea)

"The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen." (Duke Ellington)

"If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." (Joe Pass)

Helge K.

Helge Krabye's Artist Page

Edited by: Helge Krabye at: 1/10/03 9:03:10 pm
LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Improv is... Reply with quote

...ALL about listening !!!

Great post, Helge !!!

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Improv is... Reply with quote

Those 3 quotes are excellent...........

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: