MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Who do you SOUND LIKE?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> THE ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEZALAND

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

This is a subject that came up a few months ago in other forums when Derek Sivers from CDBaby produced a list of the most searched for names

In my time, I've been told I 'sound like' .. The Beatles, Sting, Stevie Windwood, Terry Reid, Eric Clapton, Paul Weller, Marc Bolan, Peter Gabriel, Van Morrison, Paul Simon, Cat Stevens, Bob Marley, Richie Havens, Bill Withers, Labi Siffre, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Santana, The Wallflowers, Willie Nelson, Dave Mathews Band, etc .. Somebody once said Barry White but I deny the rumour !!

Truth is, I have a unique sound which is an amalgam of many different styles and influences, but if those are (some of) the mainstream artists I am being compared to, then clearly it's music that has a wide potential appeal.

In reality, those saying I don't sound like anybody else, I have my own 'unique' sound, are not doing themselves any favours. We are all striving for that 'USP' but the 'punters' have never heard of you .. they only know mainstream acts. So searching for music on a site like CDBaby for the public at large, is based around who you sound like. The more well known acts you can make a connection with, the higher the chance of being discovered by accident. My problem is I'm associated with mostly 70s acts, so the list of top names searched for is actually a little more contemporary.

In fact if you have a particular favourite mainstream artist, try finding their website and leaving a note in their message book. 'Hey, I've been told my band sounds like yours', or 'your band is a major influence on my music .. come and check out my sound samples'. You may even pick up a few new fans

jeza

One Address for JEZA

EvO:R
* Javamusic * Ampcast
* ArtistLaunch
* StationMP3 * Jeans Radio

BeSonic
* Soundclick * SongRamp
* IUMA *
CDBaby
* CafePress

Netjams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

I sound like Jon Andersen..

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

Jeza..... :D That's rather a huge list :lol

Poeple tell me often I sond like Steve Lukather the guitar player from Toto who sings also on many Toto tracks...

Well... definitely I don't try intentionally to imitate him or anybody else.....

.....but I'm honored to be compared with him...

...this I can't deny ;)

MIKE

Edited by: MIKE BURN at: 1/11/02 10:26:34 pm
anrkeboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

My band Over is most often compared to Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order and Bauhaus (we actually recorded a Bauhaus cover, so that's not surprising) :) . Actually none of the comparisons are surprising, since both of us are so heavily influenced by all these bands. I always take it as a compliment.

And then there's one song, called Waste Away, which everyone says sound like NIN, and it does, in fact it's probably a completely unconscious NIN ripoff, hehe.

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

anrkeboy, I can confirm the 'Depeche Mode' connection !!! :D :D :D :yeah

MIKE

JEZALAND

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

Mike - bottom line is, however many different people think I sound like .. my music has JEZA stamped all over it.

One Address for JEZA

EvO:R
* Javamusic * Ampcast
* ArtistLaunch
* StationMP3 * Jeans Radio

BeSonic
* Soundclick * SongRamp
* IUMA *
CDBaby
* CafePress

AUTOMATIC PANIC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: HAHA!! Reply with quote

I SOUND LIKE AUTOMATIC PANIC!! :fd

Edited by: AUTOMATIC PANIC at: 1/12/02 4:52:47 pm
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Sisters of Sharon Reply with quote

have been compared to L7 and 4Non Blondes, someone said The Cranberries.... Another friend said my guitar work sounds like The Cure.....

Chris - www.mp3.com/sistersofsharon

softsong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

:clap Me :clap

Hi Mike :boink :)

The Real Synkrotron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Who do you SOUND LIKE? Reply with quote

as hard as I try to sound like my musical heros my stuff always turns out the same. ahh well....

WARNING... SHAMELESS PLUG OPERTUNITY...

Oh, BTW, I've uploaded my first track since last autumn at my artistlaunch site. It's called The Anthropic Principle.

src="http://members.aol.com/synkrotron/synkbanner.jpg"
alt="www.synkmusic.com" border="0" width="468" height="60">

Synkrotron

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> THE ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: